The Need for Title Insurance
Peace of Mind...
A title insurance policy provides you with peace of mind. It takes the risk out of acquiring property whose legal history is unknown to you While there should be no risks transferring property, they do exist. Through the years, your new property may have changed hands many times through sale, inheritance, foreclosure, or bankruptcy. Each transfer was an opportunity for an error in title to arise. If an error occurred, and has never come to light, it puts your title in jeopardy. You could lose your property and the money you paid for it. And even if you successfully defend your rights of ownership, the cost in time and legal fees could be prohibitive.
Among the many risks against which title insurance protects you are:
· Confusion from similarity of names
· Signatures of minors or mentally incompetent persons
· Mistakes in recording legal documents
· Undisclosed or missing heirs
· Misrepresentation of marital status
· Clerical errors in public records
· Invalid divorces
· Unpaid taxes
· Wills not probated
· Forged documents